The Landing at Torbay
It was when England's glorious sun in sixteen eighty-eight,
Was overcast with treason's cloud, and Popery stood elate,
That up arose her Protestants, the peasant and the peer,
And vowed the chain of perjured James that they would not dain to wear;
They sought them out a prudent chief to guide their ardent zeal,
To lead them on that victory might bless their flashing steel,
And who so fit to guide that host in all its bright array,
As William, prince of orange, ere he landed at Torbay.
Then up arose the mighty chief and left his native shore,
And rode upon the stormy waves our freedom to restore;
Upon his flag was blazon'd forth high fluttering o'er the main,
That our religion and our laws he ever would maintain;
'Twas then in gallant style he stood upon the vessels prow,
With victory on his flashing sword and wisdom on his brow,
And tens of thousands greeted him upon his natal day,
When he our glorious Orange chief first landed at Torbay.
Come brethren of the Orange bond, a bond ne'er to be riven,
When e'er we give great William's name, a bumper must be given,
For if you fire a feu-de-joie, to him who victory won,
Come prime and load, and see you give a good charge to your gun;
The eloquence of bumpers full, there's nothing can surpass,
There's nought expresses kindred souls, like friendship's social glass,
And thus we give our song and toast with three time three, huzza,
The memory of King William and his landing at Torbay.
1688: On 5th November 1688 Prince William of Orange landed in Brixham. Before moving onto Exeter and later to London, his army camped on the high ground around Brixham, whilst William “went down the hill unto the Fishermen's little house; one of which he made into a Palace for that time”. He later went on to be crowned King William III of England. In 1889, a year after the Bicentenary celebrations, a statue of Prince William of Orange was erected on Brixham harbourside at a cost of £700.
On the 28th September 1912, Ulster Day The Boyne Standard, an ancient-looking yellow silk banner carried by an Ensign Watson before William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne on 01st July 1690, was carried after noon religious services flanked by smartly turned-out guard of men wearing bowler hats and carrying batons, along Bedford Street and into City Hall to a large round table draped with a Union Flag where upon the Ulster Covenant was signed in City hall and in other venues in Belfast
King William III ceremonial Mace and Sword of State
The mace and sword were given to the Corporation of Drogheda by King William (III) of Orange, shortly after the Battle of the Boyne, to replace the previous mace, which James II had melted down to enhance his depleted exchequer.
The mace and sword are both ceremonial weapons and symbols of royal authority, illustrating a king’s power and majesty. Kings presented swords and maces to loyal towns. Civic maces, originally derived from weapons wielded by the king’s own personal bodyguard, no longer closely resemble the original implements and would be difficult to use as weapons.
Many parliaments of English-speaking countries have maces where they must, by law, be present for the parliamentary meetings to be legal. Many towns and cities also have maces, including in Ireland, though few are as magnificent as Drogheda’s. Swords were presented to towns which had withstood sieges and proved loyal in battle and are even rarer than maces.
The mace is one of the biggest in Ireland and also one of the finest. It is solid silver, weighs 108 ounces, and is five foot five inches long, mounted on the original wooden pole. It is constructed in eight parts which are laced onto a central shaft and secured at the base by a nut. It is decorated in repouseé and chasing on the shaft, with floral and foliate motifs. Around the head are a crowned rose, thistle, fleurde- lis and harp, each of them between the letters WR and within the laurel wreaths linked by foliate female busts. Above, on the cap, is the royal arms of William III.
The words Honi soit qui mal y pense meaning ‘shame on him who thinketh evil’, the motto of the English chivalrous Order of the Garter, are also engraved on the head.
It is not known for certain who made the mace, but it is generally felt that it was made by Thomas Bolton, a Dublin silversmith. The hallmark M appears 3 times on the head of the mace tracing it to the years 1695- 1699. Bolton also made the Dublin Lord Mayor’s chains in 1701 and a mace for Trinity College in 1708.
The sword of state and scabbard
The sword of state and scabbard with the royal arms are also the gift of King William III. The sword is 3 foot 6 inches long, and the scabbard bears a decoration with the letters CR, meaning Carolus Rex, or King Charles (I), suggesting that even if the sword was presented by William, the scabbard may have been reused from an earlier sword